Friday, June 19, 2009

Trixie


When Trixie first came in, she was so frightened I didn't even notice the wound on her back - and that's not an easy thing to miss, believe me. The poor girl had been clipped by a car, and injured so badly that she might never walk again without the aid of a wheelchair (yes, they actually do make wheelchairs for dogs, as novel of an idea as it seems). I'm hoping she will be able to have a much fuller recovery (though it doesn't look extremely promising), and if any dog has what it takes, I would bet Trixie does.


I spent a while today just cradling her head in my hands, talking to her. She was so very frightened and uncomfortable, she shook like a leaf in a thunderstorm. When I went to refill her water dish, I returned to find that Trixie had picked herself up and was waiting dutifully at the door of her kennel for my return. After helping her get a drink, I gently returned her to her bed. I've seen a lot of brave animals and strong animals, but that six-inch odyssey of hers left me quite humbled.

Due to the nature of her injury, Trixie is available only to a rescue group. I'm hoping that someone is able to step in and help provide her the medical care she needs; she'll provide her own courage.

UPDATE: Trixie was picked up this morning by the appropriately-named Hope from All-Texas Dachshund Rescue, and they even had a vet who works with them stay after-hours to check her out! I'm thrilled that she's in such good (and capable) hands, and hope to hear more about her as she recovers.

UPDATE pt2: I received an e-mail from Hope at ATDR, and there's some fantastic news! The vet X-rayed Trixie's injury, and found some severe "trauma" - but amazingly, nothing broken. After a few days of strict crate-rest and steroids to boost her body's own healing ability, she was able to stand up on all four feet. Though she's far from out of the woods yet, her prognosis looks very hopeful!



A Quick Note: Shelter Diaries doesn't advocate any one shelter/rescue group/foster group over another. We do, however, believe wholeheartedly in finding an organization that rings true to you, and doing what you can to help them out. Doing "the right thing" is often a thankless, difficult and daunting task - as well as a drain on resources both tangible and innate. It's easy to lose ourselves in the drama unfolding around the four-legged animals we share our world with, and forget the two-legged animals who step up to champion for them.

No comments: